Album facts: Brainwashed
On November 18th 2002, George Harrison's 12th and final album Brainwashed was released. Harrison succumbed to lung cancer before the album was fully complete, but he left very clear and detailed instructions for his son Dhani and long-time friend Jeff Lynne for how to complete it.
Harrison's previous album Cloud Nine was released 15 years prior to Brainwashed and a lot of the songs stem from that time period. Harrison began writing the songs for Brainwashed in 1988; one song actually dates all the way back to 1970, when Harrison was working on All Thing Must Pass.
Over the next decade Harrison continued to work on the songs when he could, but was hampered by legal obligations with the Travelling Wilburys and work he did on The Beatles' Anthology documentaries. After Harrison recovered from the knife attack at his home in Friar Park in 1999, he set out to complete the album.
With most of the album finished, George Harrison died at a friend's house in Los Angeles on November 29th, 2001. His son Dhani and Jeff Lynn finished Brainwashed in George's stead, strictly following precisely the instructions left to them by the late Beatle.
Brainwashed was well received by critics and fans and stands as a perfect swan song for one of the greatest guitarists, humanitarians and songwriters of the 20th century.
- George Harrison – lead vocals, lead guitar, slide guitar, Dobro, ukulele, keyboards, bass, percussion
- Jeff Lynne – bass, guitar, piano, keyboards, percussion, backing vocals
- Dhani Harrison – guitar, Wurlitzer electric piano, backing vocals
- Jim Keltner – drums
- "Any Road" – 3:52
- "P2 Vatican Blues (Last Saturday Night)" – 2:38
- "Pisces Fish" – 4:50
- "Looking for My Life" – 3:49
- "Rising Sun" – 5:27
- "Marwa Blues" – 3:40
- "Stuck Inside a Cloud" – 4:04
- "Run So Far" – 4:05
- "Never Get Over You" – 3:26
- "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" – 2:34
- "Rocking Chair in Hawaii" – 3:07
- "Brainwashed" – 6:07