Live at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio
On September 15th 1964, the Beatles continued their North American tour playing one show at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio. Beatlemania was well and truly alive in Cleveland with fans going to extraordinary lengths to get to the Beatles.
The band stayed at the Sheraton-Cleveland hotel the night before and multiple attempts were made to reach them by desperate fans. One girl pretended to faint insisting she be given first aid inside the hotel. Another fan tried to smuggle himself in inside a suitcase. The police insisted the band not stay in the presidential suite which they were booked in for, to try confuse people.
When it came time to drive to the show several decoy vehicles were sent first to try throw the scent off the Beatles, who eventually slipped out unnoticed just before the show.
There was an unusual amount of excitement in the crowd at this performance. Manager Brian Epstein sensed something wasn't right. Although there was a 100 policeman barrier protecting the stage, it wasn't enough to keep the thousands of hysterical fans back and they eventually breached the cordon, with a few of them rushing the stage.
It got so out of hand that an 11 year old girl was nearly trampled to death. Two senior policeman seeing a disaster in the making finally got on stage and stopped the show. This was the first time the Beatles were forced to stop a performance, but they did so reluctantly. The band were brought off stage and the crowd were informed that the concert was over.
After a brief period backstage the booing fans were told that the show would continue if they remained in their seats. The Beatles then came out and played the rest of their set without much incident.
- "Twist and Shout" (John Lennon)
- "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (John Lennon and Paul McCartney)
- "I Saw Her Standing There" (Paul McCartney)
- "You Can't Do That" (John Lennon)
- "All My Loving" (Paul McCartney)
- "I Wanna Be Your Man" (Ringo Starr)
- "She Loves You" (John Lennon and Paul McCartney)
- "Till There Was You" (Paul McCartney)
- "Roll Over Beethoven" (George Harrison)
- "Can't Buy Me Love" (Paul McCartney)
- "This Boy" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison)
- "Long Tall Sally" (Paul McCartney)