Live: Municipal Stadium, Kansas City
On September 17th 1964, the Beatles played the Municipal Stadium in Kansas City. This was originally scheduled as a Beatles' day off, something very rare in the band's career and something they all cherished.
Brian Epstein was offered $50,000 for the boys to make a stop in Kansas City on their North American Tour. This offer was rejected. The next offer of $100,000 was also turned down. When local promoter Charlie Finley offered the Beatles' manager $150,000 he finally acquiesced.
While in Kansas the Beatles stayed on the 18th floor penthouse at the Muehlebach Tower Hotel. Their bed-linen and towels they used were later sold by the hotel's manager.
22,280 tickets were sold for the concert, although the venue could hold 35,000; with tickets costing between $2 and $8. As well as their typical set list below the Beatles added Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey to the set from their Beatles for Sale album.
- "Twist and Shout" (John Lennon)
- "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (John Lennon and Paul McCartney)
- "I Saw Her Standing There" (Paul McCartney)
- "You Can't Do That" (John Lennon)
- "All My Loving" (Paul McCartney)
- "I Wanna Be Your Man" (Ringo Starr)
- "She Loves You" (John Lennon and Paul McCartney)
- "Till There Was You" (Paul McCartney)
- "Roll Over Beethoven" (George Harrison)
- "Can't Buy Me Love" (Paul McCartney)
- "This Boy" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison)
- "Long Tall Sally" (Paul McCartney)